Fire safety and carbon monoxide risks too often underestimated
Did you know that each year fire breaks out in no fewer than one in 67 homes and that carbon monoxide poisoning claims ten deaths and causes hundreds of injuries? This is a serious number of victims that could perhaps have been prevented. Unfortunately, all too frequently we see that people are lax about safety issues. Safety in the home is of the utmost importance. Prevention should be given the highest priority and can sometimes be improved enormously using fairly simple means. Both landlords and tenants need to be aware of this.
Fire prevention involves taking measures to prevent fire breaking out and restrict it if it does. We also map out the potential consequences of fire breaking out and ensure escape routes for people.
Fire and carbon monoxide poisoning can be caused by any appliances that use combustion. These might be gas or oil fires, but also modern central heating systems. The released flue gases need to be discharged into the outside air and appliances need to undergo regular and professional maintenance.
Simple but good-quality smoke and fire detectors as well as carbon monoxide detectors mounted correctly and in the right locations in a home can prevent a great deal of misery. Carbon monoxide is known as a silent killer. The gas is odourless and can only be detected via headaches, nausea and fatigue. Anyone exposed to carbon monoxide for too long can become unconscious and ultimately die.
We are all too familiar with this and cannot emphasise enough the importance of safety measures. We have known Interhouse for many years as a party that has a keen eye for safety. Interhouse employees are given annual safety training. Moreover, in conjunction with Interhouse we have put together a home safety pack that provides an initial improvement in fire and general safety in your home.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or would like to receive customised advice.